Meet Rachael Kangas, our new Outreach Assistant!

Sweat on my brow, digging in the part of our back yard that just wouldn't grow grass, as a kid I would tediously bury and uncover toy cars and rocks; science at its finest. Growing up in rural Ohio, I fell in love with archaeology. Florida has been my home for the past 11 years now and I don't think I could survive a real winter anymore. I earned my AA degree from Seminole State College, my BA from Rollins College (go Tars!), and currently, I am focusing my efforts at the University of Central Florida as a Master's student with an emphasis on Maya archaeology. I've completed my Maya Studies Certificate from UCF and am currently finishing my thesis work on a structure from a site in Belize.

2015 Field season at Caracol, Belize. Excavating an ancient Maya tomb.

I've participated in field work in the U.S., Bolivia, and Belize, having the honor of digging and analyzing architecture, burials, ceramics, lithics, and many other artifact classes. I've also used my SCUBA certification to dive 2 Florida shipwrecks with FPAN's HADS workshop, as well as a few of Florida's amazing springs and rivers. Due to our state's number of submerged cultural resources, I am excited to use my skills both on land and in the water to help visitors and residents understand and protect these non-renewable treasures.

As I begin working for FPAN I have a lot of plans, which are constantly evolving. My archaeology background means I can talk and teach about many archaeological methods and theories, but I also have a few specific areas I'm working on. Currently, I am developing my knowledge of Florida ceramics and look forward to teaching the public about analyzing ancient pottery, and leading some experimental archaeology workshops to teach about building and firing techniques. Further, while at UCF I learned a great deal about archaeological drawing, a crucial and often under appreciated skill. I hope to teach some hands-on classes with the public to not only discuss drawing's vital role in archaeology, but also to share my passion with others!

FPAN's Superheroes Of Time at the 

Beyond "dirt" archaeology, I have experience in GIS and GPR and will be working with my colleague in the East Central Region to learn more about these technologies and the science behind them. As FPAN East Central works closely with community partners to record, interpret, and spread awareness of the rich prehistory of Florida, I plan to put all of my skills to work to meet these goals.


Overall, I plan to dig, dive, teach, engage, analyze, draw, speak, and do whatever else is necessary to help FPAN in our mission to promote and facilitate the conservation, study and public understanding of Florida's archaeological heritage!